policy is to be
sensitive to the environment
and foster and enhance
IOWA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
The Rocks and Roads Web site includes four units offering text, activities,
and a glossary. The four units are:
The units were developed to share elements of road design and construction processes. The materials also review Iowa's resources used in road construction such as limestone, quartzite, marble, etc., and a brief review of Iowa's geological history.
- Unit 1: Geology of Iowa
- Unit 2: How are the materials used in road construction?
- Unit 3: Why isn't the roadway straight?
- Unit 4: Road Design 101 - How are highways designed?
The objectives of Rocks and Roads include:
- developing an awareness of Iowa's resources;
- providing students with opportunities to understand the concepts
of highway road design and materials used in constructing those roads;
- allowing students to acquire basic skills of earth science; and
- observing, analyzing and developing conclusions from activities
related to environmental resources.
If you use any of the materials, activities
or worksheets, please take a few minutes and complete the feedback sheet
included on the Web site.
page home | unit
1 | unit 2 | unit
3 | unit 4
and Roads feedback | contact